Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I am elated!

I feel elated! I had ordered some vegan products and they arrived today.
A baking mix from "The Cravings Place", Primal Beef Jerky Texas BBQ (Without the Beef), and a Vegan baking Recipes Book. I feel like a kid in a vegan candy store.

Since I was ready for a snack, I immediately opened one of the beef jerky's. I have to say they are awesome. Very very good. I had beef jerky before and these vegan ones are BETTER! I am saying this without prejudice. They really are. There is no funky stuff to spit out, only one gram of fat per jerky and 10 grams of vegetable protein, no MSG really you feel like you had a very healthy snack and you did. You don't have to lose your teeth neither to eat them and yet they have a very jerky beef like texture... How do they do that???
I shall hand them out to my friends. They will definitely become a staple in my house.








The All Purpose Pancake Batter & Waffle mix will be tried out soon. I ordered six 23 oz packs of the batter, enough to share with a friend. What's great about it is that while it is certified Vegan it is also great for folks with gluten, casein, lactose, egg allergies, and people with celiac disease. I will give a pack to a friend of mine who struggles with bouts of gout and other joint pains usually after eating meat, bacon, eggs and certain breads and pastries and after drinking any alcohol. I think he'll enjoy having some pancakes and hopefully won't get the joint pain attacks.

Since I went all out vegan I have been transforming some of my favorite recipes to vegan and I am always on the lookout for good foods including snacks that also provide vegetable protein.

The other day I baked Cinnamon Rolls. I have been pretty famous among friends for my super Cinnamon rolls. However I used to use butter, eggs and milk. So now my challenge was to get them good without butter, eggs, and milk.

Well let me relive the suspense. My hand on my heart... they turned out fantastic.
Actually if I had said anyhting nobody would have noticed a difference.
Here is a picture of these yummy rolls. I make a yeast dough as normally, substitute the eggs with 2 Tbs of flax seed egg replacer (Grind 1 tbsp flaxseed [use 2 1/2 tbsp pre-ground flaxseeds] combine with 3 tablespoons of water to replace one egg. Make sure that the mixture has gelled before using it. Some people recommend simmering the two items together to thicken this mix.) for more egg replacing suggestions click here

Instead of butter I use vegetable oil or vegan margarine, I still use regular refined sugar (oh my :-) I use Silk instead of milk. After letting the dough rise twice, I roll I out and spread more oil or vegan margarine, nuts ( don't have to) generous cinnamon, sugar, Roll it all up. Cut them in to 1.5 inch pieces, set them upside down in to a baking form, pour over that a half a cup of silk soy milk, shred some dark "no milk" chocolate, sprinkle over rolls (can omit). Let them rise again for about 30 to 40 minutes, bake them in 375 oven for about 25 minutes. You may decorate them with powder sugar water mixture frosting.





The book I bought is:
The 100 Best VEGAN Baking Recipes.
Can't wait to try some of them.









Go Vegan... it's so exciting, refreshing, non violent and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive. Abusive comments will be deleted.